Beginnings are an epitome of hopes, happiness and immense enthusiasm. The Hindu New Year or Gudi Padwa or also called as Ugadi is widely celebrated to inaugurate the Hindu year. This is the first day of the Indian month of Chaita according to the lunar calendar. This day also marks the beginning of new season and end of the Rabi crops. People from all around India perform special rituals on this day and welcome the New Year with immense joy.
The preparations for this special day include proper cleansing of the house and decorating the home at its best. The family members install the Gudi at the entrance of their residence by taking a long stick, a sacred cloth which is mainly red or yellow in colour and a Kalash. After placing the kalash it is adorned with mango leaves and flowers. This ceremony is highly sacred and considered to bring happiness, prosperity and success for the family.
The festival is celebrated in honour of Maratha Shivaji Maharaj, a great king who had a kingdom that spread across the entire part of western India. This is the reason people worship the Gudi which is a cloth which flies like a flag that is usually a sign of victory in an army.
This day also represents love and devotion between the wife and husband. On this day newly married daughters with their husbands are invited for special meals and resents. Thus this is the festival where families and relatives get together to celebrate the joy. Special delicacies are also prepared like Shrikhand and Poori or Puran Poli in Maharashtra and a mixture of six tastes called Ugadi Pachhadi or Bevu Bella in South India.
This year Gudi Padwa is on 8th April 2016 and we wish that it brings new ray of hope in everyone’s life.
Kids are the apple of parent’s eyes and fill a house with laughter, entertainment, love and fulfilment. Kids complete a family and provide an opportunity to the couple to experience parenthood. Couples who are desirous of beginning the new chapter of family life should be careful about the following Vastu measures.
- A cut in the north-east, heavy construction or construction of a toilet in the north-east can give negative results.
- Make sure that the north-east corner is kept clean, clutter free and lower than the south-west for healthy and virtuous children.
- If the north direction in a house is completely blocked, the probability of having a male child is reduced. Main entrance in the grid ‘Parjanya’ is said to be responsible for the birth of daughters.
- A north-west bedroom is the ideal direction for bedroom for couples desirous of starting a family.
- The placement of mirrors in the bedroom should be such that they do not reflect the bed.
- Use colours such as lilac, peach, mint or white to brighten up your bedroom.
- Keep fresh flowers in the room and you can also keep fruits, especially pomegranates, which is a symbol of fertility.
- The attached toilet door must be kept shut and the toilet seat cover down.
- The wife should sleep towards the left side of her husband.
- The foot of the bed should not directly face the door of the room.
- Sleeping with head towards north is totally prohibited. Prefer sleeping with head towards the south or east is helpful.
- It is recommended that after conception the couple should move to a southern bedroom as it is safe for pregnant lady.
Shubhpuja’s Founder and CEO, Saumya Vardhan on Zee news live media coverage for Karva Chauth Special on 11th October, 14. She termed this auspicious festival as ‘India Valentine’s Day‘ and highlighted the craze among both the life partners for fasting.