Fame, recognition and good reputation are essential for success and are required by everyone to survive in this society. To energise the positivity in our lives and attain happiness in the family, follow these easy Vastu tips.
- Energise the fire element of the south and south-east, the agni zone of every room. Use bright lights, candles or traditional wick lamps in the south east corner with light pointing towards the roof.
- Red colour is effective in activating the recognition and fame sector, so include soft furnishings, drapes, bedspreads, rugs and carpets with red as its dominant colour.
- Lights in white, yellow or red signify energy; so prefer lights of these colours usually.
- Keep all your electronic and electrical gadgets in the south-east corners of your home.
- An extended north-east is most auspicious and provides abundant wealth and prosperity.
- Light red candles or hang a painting with red as the dominant colour in the south sector of your home.
There is deep bonding between man and nature, so the presence of plants, trees and water bodies helps us to connect to the natural world. A subtle blend of design, shape, colour, appropriate plants, and water bodies can enhance the positive vibrations in and around the house for optimum health and happiness. By following few of the vastu tips in the outside environment, a cherished bliss and peace can be experienced.
- Give your garden a regular shape like square and rectangle. The soil should be compact, smooth, yellow and should have a sweet smell.
- Planting of herbs and medicinal plants like tulsi and neem, helps in adding positive vibrations to the environment.
- It is auspicious to grow an abundance of fragrant colourful flowers, herbs, evergreen plants like money plant in the north, to attract wealth and luck.
- East is associated with growth and it receives the morning rays of the sun so be sure not to grow any tall plants and trees here which block these rays.
- North-east is the ideal place for a lily pond, a small pond or a fountain. Medicinal plants and herbs such as tulsi, neem, mint, coriander and thyme would be auspicious here.
- If your garden is to the south of your house, then plant tall trees to block out the harmful rays of the midday sun.
- South-east is ideal to grow herbs, mint, fennel, basil and citrus You can also build a barbecue towards the south-east of the garden.
- West is the direction associated with Saturn, so tall trees and metal garden furniture is suitable for garden in west direction. Metal swings and rides for children can also be placed here.
- Keep the centre zone of the garden clean and clutter-free. Do not allow dead leaves, twigs or any other junk to pile up there.
- Heavy leaf bearing trees like ashoka, neem, arjun, punnage and sirisa, are best situated on south-west side as they supply pure oxygen and also provide protection from the infrared rays of the afternoon sun.
- Rock gardens, if required, can also be in the south-west region sloping down towards the north or/ and east.
- As per ancient literature of Vastu, trees like pakar, barh, udumber, and peepal are considered inauspicious in the south, west, north and east, respectively. The auspicious directions for these trees are pakar in north, peepal in the west, udumber in the south and barh in the east.
- Trees like ashoka, almond, nilgiri, coconut, neem, lemon, nagakesar, kathal, shami and arisht are recommended for planting within the house limits.
- As per Feng Shui, a clamp of bamboo signifies good health and longevity of the occupants and it is also a good addition to the garden.
- Do not keep pricky cactus plants or bonsai inside the house. Avoid pots made of synthetic material inside the house.
Vastu involves an understanding of the eight directions that includes four cardinal directions and four angles or vidishas. The centre part of all these directions is called ‘brahmasthan’. Every direction is unique in its own way and there is certain speciality of each of them, so according to their significance the house should be planned and constructed.
West direction is capable of giving success, glory, fame and fortune.
North is the place of mother. By leaving open space in north, the maternal side of the family prospers.
South direction is responsible for wealth, success, happiness and peace.
North-east zone is assigned to water. Appropriate for constructing borewell or underground tank. This sector gives stability to the family.
North-west zone is assigned to air. It is good to keep finished goods in this area as they will move fast. It is responsible for relationships, friends and enemies.
South-east zone is assigned to fire. Kitchen, pantry, furnace or boiler should be placed there. Zit is responsible for good health and healthy finances of the inmates of house.
South-west zone is assigned to earth. This is the best area for master bedroom. It gives stability to the head member of the family.
These directions cannot change the destiny yet it ensures the safety measures by creating a harmonious space and strength to bear the problems in life. It is like a free will to a person, where he decides what to choose or not.
If you have ever bought a house, chances are that you must have bought it in accordance with the vaastu of that place. Even if you haven’t, you might have surely heard about referring a vaastu expert before buying a new place. But why do you need to refer to someone before buying a new house? Is it all that necessary? Read on to find out.
Vaastu Shastra, one of the most ancient doctrines of Indian civilization, deals with the science of architecture and designing. It gives an insight about how a building should be planned and designed, in order to channelize positive energy in our lives. Mostly, this science deals with the orientation of the buildings and its appropriate design. It’s said that a home that is in adherence with vaastu directions makes for a comfortable living. Such a house gives good health, prosperity and wealth to the occupants. According to the scriptures each direction has a deity associated with it. There are eight directions in totality. Our shastra says that if we worship, idolize and honour the Lords of these eight directions, people yield eternal blessings in the form of success, health and prosperity.
These directions can be better understood as follows:
North: This direction is governed by Kuber, the god of wealth. It is therefore said to be the best direction for business people who are interested in applying some Vaastu in their lives. The following steps need to be taken in order to take advantage of this direction:
o Have the office in the north part of the house or the building to climb up the ladder of success.
o If designing for your home, keep your vault in the north direction in order to ensure a healthy flux of wealth.
o Keep construction in the north to the minimum, so as to maintain a high efficiency. Constructions in the north can adversely affect the prospects of wealth.
o Do not have any toilets or garbage bins in the north.
o Do not put any staircases in the north, for it can promote financial loss in one’s life. East: This direction is governed by lord Indra, the king of Gods, a symbol of a new beginning. East stands for sunrise, or new beginnings. It is an auspicious direction for people who are trying to end something bad and getting started with something new. It is the direction of prosperity. Here are the things in the house that can be in the eastern part of the house or face the eastern direction:
o The entrances to the house, living room, study and the place of worship should face the east.
o Treasure boxes, lockers etc. should open towards the east to promote prosperity.
o No kitchen or toilet should be in the east.
West: This direction is directed by Lord Varun, the lord of rains.
West, is probably the most pitiable direction. Out of all the Vaastu directions, this is the one that has more instructions for ‘don’ts’ than ‘dos’. People who live in the western part of the house do not lead a happy life. Following are the things that one needs to be aware about the western direction:
o It is better to have a staircase or a tank in the west than anything else.
o Store the garbage bins or build the garage in the western direction of the house.
o The bathroom should be situated in this direction.
South: This direction is of Yama, the god of death. As a result, there is a fear amongst the people following vaastu shastra, regarding this direction. This is because one can never be sure about the consequences of this direction. Hence its advised that this direction should be used in cycles. Some tips to make the most of this direction are as follows:
o Try keeping a tank or an overhead tank in the south portion.
o Put the staircase to the house in the southern part.
o Do not put a basement in the south direction.
o The kitchen and dining room should not be in this direction.
North East: This place is a supervised by lord Eeshaan, and is a source of wealth, health and success. North-east is the direction of god. It is the most auspicious direction and it is known to promote positive aspects in men and women. When taking care of the northern corner or side of the structure, remember the following details to take advantage of Vaastu:
o Having open spaces in the north-eastern direction is a good idea.
o Having a slope in the north-eastern area would be a smart step.
North West: This place is directed by lord Vaayu and he brings on us good health, strength and long life. The north-west is the direction that handles interpersonal relationships. The kind of relationships people have with the other members of the family certainly depends on this direction. Here are a few things that you would certainly have to keep in mind:
o There should be no underground water tank in the north- west part of the house.
o The kitchen, the dining room and the master bedroom should certainly not be in this direction.
o No extensions should be made from this direction.
o Avoid having a basement in the north-western part of your house.
South East: This direction is governed by lord of fire- Agni. South-east is thought to be the direction of the logical reasoning. Here are some of the important things you need to know about this direction:
o It is very beneficial to have the kitchen in this direction.
o Any electrical instruments, like TVs, motors, batteries, inverters, home theatre, etc. should be placed on the south- eastern side of the room.
o Do not have a toilet or a tank in this direction.
South West: This direction is directed by Niruti, the god who protects us from evil foes.
This is the direction of the demons, the opposite of north-east. As a result of this, it can command the business field and the decisions made in that field. Here are some important things for you to keep in mind:
o Rent out the place in the south-west part of your house.
o Do not have any overhead tanks or basements in the south west for it promotes discord.
o It is wise to keep your valuables in this direction.
So the next time you think of buying a new property, do not forget to look into its vaastu to enjoy a happy and a prosperous life!
Contributed By Mihir Ajgaonkar