In 2013, Vardhan co-founded online astrology consultancy Shubhpuja. Previously, as CEO of Vayudoot, he helped the company navigate the aviation industry; as an astrologer he helps individuals navigate adverse planetary positions,
Makar Sankranti 2018: History, Customs and Why it is Celebrated
Makar Sankranti 2018: As per the traditions and customs prevalent in India, people used to visit holy rivers, temples and sun temples and used to offer oblations and worship to the deities. Read more about the history, traditions and science behind Makar Sankranti puja.
From times immemorial, people are scared of Saturn or “Shaani Dev”. In the Indian context, whenever anything goes wrong in our lives or there is a delay in any auspicious work or a person is in any sort of difficulty, we tend to blame it on “Shaani”. This is something that people in India have been hearing since childhood and Saturn or “Shaani” has thus become a much maligned planet.
However, it is not always true that Saturn is the cause of all our problems. Saturn can be one of the most beneficial planets for someone born under Libra (Tula) lagna or Taurus (Vrisabh) lagna. Saturn can also be very beneficial to someone with Gemini (Mithun) lagna if placed in his horoscope in the 9th or the 10th house. Saturn can give excellent results to someone with Virgo (Kanya) lagna also if placed in his horoscope’s 5th, 9th or 10th house. Saturn also gives good results when placed in the 7th or 12th house of a horoscope. When Saturn is beneficial, it can give a person Power, fame, wealth beyond imagination and all the material comforts and pleasures of life. In fact, in Indian Astrology, it is said that no auspicious event can occur without the blessings of Jupiter and green signal from Saturn. For example, we can accurately predict the timing of marriage from the transit of Jupiter and Saturn. If a person’s “dasha” is indicating marriage and we want to know the exact timing of the marriage, we only need to see whether Jupiter and Saturn are transiting over his or her horoscope’s 7th house or aspecting the horoscope’s 7th house in transit. Marriage will happen when the 7th house is activated in transit by Jupiter and Saturn. Saturn stays in a Zodiac sign for two and half years and Jupiter stays in a Zodiac sign for a year. Saturn may delay, but it never denies. It is the planet of justice. A peculiarity of Saturn about which a majority of Astrologers are unaware of is that if it is placed in exaltation in a horoscope in Libra (Tula), it gives bad results and if it is placed in debilitation in Aries (Mesh), it gives good results. In case of all other planets, the case is the reverse.
Another feared phenomenon caused by Saturn’s transit is “Sade Sati”. When Saturn transits over the natal moon in a horoscope and in both the houses next to the the natal moon, it causes “Sade Sati”. “Sade Sati” lasts for seven and a half years. “Sade Sati”, although being troublesome for anyone under its influence is more troublesome for the fiery sign lagnas – Aries (Mesh), Leo (Simha) and Sagittarius (Dhanu). It can be very troublesome for Cancer (Kark) lagna too. When a person is under the influence of “Sade Sati”, he faces a lot of mental tension, hurdles in every step of life, disturbed family life, financial problem and irritation and despair in day to day life. With proper remedies, the ill effects of “Sade Sati” can be neutralized to a great extent.
But a person facing the brunt of Saturn’s wrath under “Sade Sati” should understand that Saturn is a “Karmic” planet which gives us the results of the karmas of previous births in this life and Saturn is a great teacher. Saturn’s “Sade Sati” comes into our lives for a cosmic reason and that is to impart the lessons of life to a person. Troubles caused by “Sade Sati” will teach a proud person to become more humble and a spendthrift the value of money. Saturn’s “Sade Sati” will cleanse the negativity from a person and leave him a better person at the end of the “Sade Sati” period of seven and a half years.
Thus we see that Saturn is not an evil and malevolent planet as it is made out to be, but a great teacher and a planet which imparts divine justice.
Contributed By: Pranab Saikia (Jyotish Ratna, Jyotish Bhusan, Jyotish Prabhakar)
The number stands in symbolism for the Planet Saturn. This number influences all people born on the 8th, 17th, or 26th in any month, or if their birthday comes between the 21st December and the 26th January period which is also called as the House of Saturn (positive), and also from 26th January to 19th February, the period called the House of Saturn (negative).
- These people are usually misunderstood by others, and therefore they feel intensely lonely at heart.
- They have deep and very intense natures along with great strength of individuality.
- They often appear cold and undemonstrative, though in reality they have warm hearts towards the oppressed classes.
- These people are either successes or great failures, there appears to be no happy medium in their case.
- If ambitious, they usually aim for public life or government responsibility of some kind, and often hold very high positions involving great sacrifice on their part.
- If at all religious they go to extremes and are fanatics in their zeal. In any cause they take up, they attempt to carry it through in spite of all arguments or opposition and in doing so they generally make bitter and relentless enemies.
- The lucky colours for them are all shades of grey, black, dark blue, and purple.
- They should endeavour to carry out their plans and aims on all days that fall under their own number such as 8th, 17th or 26th in any month, or during the house of Saturn period. Especially so when these dates fall on Saturday, Sunday or Monday.
- Their lucky stones are the amethyst and the dark toned sapphire, also black pearl or the black diamond.