Whenever we hear about hawan or homa, the picture of a fire emitting smoke all around comes in our mind, but in a reverential manner since it is meant for deity. We have seen or heard numerous times that by doing hawan, one invites peace to his house.
As stated by the lord in Bhagwad Gita (Chapter 5 Verse 29)-
gyatva mam shantim rchchhati||
The sages, knowing Me as the ultimate purpose of all sacrifices and austerities, the Supreme Lord of all planets and demigods and the benefactor and well-wisher of all living entities, attain peace from the pangs of material miseries.
Since the supreme personality of godhead Sri Krishna is the ultimate benefactor of all hawans, he provides the person who is doing yagya and the person for whom yagya is done both with peace and tranquility.
Homa or Hawan or Yagya, as people call it in India is a vedic tradition which is coming down or the last billions and trillions of yugas. The famous yagyas which are mentioned in the Vedic literature are Ashwamedha Yagya of Maharaj Dashratha, Rajsuya Yagya of Maharaj Yudhishthir etc.
Doing Yagya was yuga dharma (Supreme prerogative and duty) of Treta yuga and people used to see the lord being satisfied by that when he used to appear in the yagya kund.
What is hawan or homa?
Yagya comprises of igniting a holy fire using pure wood and pure cow ghee and cow dung cakes and with the chanting of mantras, the hawish is poured into the fire with the word “Swaha!”. The hawish comprises of Indian Cow Ghee and mixture of Herbs called Hawan Samagri along with some other pure materials.
- Seeing the Hawan with scientific paradigm, the ancient sages used to say that by doing yagya, Sattva gun increases which is symbolized by cleanliness, peace and purity.
- The cow ghee and cow dung cake react to release tonnes of oxygen ad other gases which make the atmosphere pure.
- The small quantities of sulpher and nitrogen oxides get rid of harmful bacteria and their inhalation causes lacrimation, which relieves the eyes of all impurities and cough which arises clears the nasal and respiratory passage.
- All the harmful microbes and pathogens are cleared due to the smoke emitted by burning of herbs which acts as a natural detoxifier.
- The natural herbal smoke purifies the mind as well as the body.
- The ash which is remaining from the Hawan kund is asked to put into plants which acts as a very good fertilizer.
We at #Shubhpuja have expert purohits and acharyas who have performed great shanti yagyas. Contact us at www.shubhpuja.com for the yagyas and book your package: http://www.shubhpuja.com/product/daily-hawan/
The magical crystalline substance, known for its sweet aroma is considered highly auspicious in Hindu rituals. The camphor or kafur or karpura is widely used as a significant part of the puja ceremony and acts as a gesture to adore Lord. Camphor has its own unique attributes and a few of them will be discussed here.
- The camphor completely burns itself out, leaving no residue behind, symbolising the diminishing ego of the devotee and burning itself to enlighten the life of others.
- The sweet fragrance arising from the camphor spreads the aura of positivity and goodness around.
- The flame of burning camphor resembles the flame of consciousness of Lord Shiva, where we can surrender all our negative traits.
- As the devotee places his hands over the flame and touch his eyes and the top of head, it symbolise the illumination of vision and piousness in thought process.
- Camphor is known for its medicinal traits and it also purifies the air and has medicinal benefits on the people around.
- Due to the cooling feature of camphor, it is used as an essential oil for aromatherapy.
- Camphor is also significant in decreasing the irritation of nervous disorders as well as nervousness, chronic disease and epileptic problems.
- It also acts an anti-repellent to keep away the mosquitoes, snakes, reptiles and kill germs.
- Camphor products are used to relieve pain and reduce itching, and also to treat fungal infections and minor burns.
- Camphor has varied sentiments attached with different cultures, thus hold high spiritual value.
The infinite faith and devotion in God leads us to surrender ourselves in His holy feet. By touching the feet of a deity or spiritual Guru, we release our ego and get rid of all the negative energies, as our real identity is realized. When the holy feet have been given upmost importance in our Vedas, then how can we overlook the magical power of ‘nectar from the feet of God’. The sacred and valuable ‘Charnamrit’ meaning, Charan- feet and Amrit-holy nectar from Gods; has always been consumed by us at religious places, yet very of us thought about its importance.
Significance of the ingredients:
Charnamrit is commonly composed of five main ingredients i.e. milk, curd, ghee, honey and sugar. Water and tulsi (basil) leaves are also added by few to this holy mixture. All these ingredients which are commonly used by us in the daily routine, combine together to create a divine nectar that bestows us with bliss and purity.
- Milk – for purity and piousness.
- Curd- for prosperity and progeny.
- Honey- for sweetness in our nature.
- Ghee- for victory.
- Sugar- for happiness.
- Water- for purity.
- Tulsi- for immunity.
Apart from the sacred importance and divine nature, Charnamrit is also efficient for our body and resolves our body issues. The holy nectar is generally prepared and kept in the copper or brass vessel that provides an added advantage for terminating the infectious germs inside our body and enhances our immunity power. Basil leaves acts as a strong agent against diseases and eliminates the chances of illness. It also enhances our memory power and provides strength.
Thus this holy nectar acts as a magical solution that not only showers us with positive benefits for our body but also for our soul. The nectar increases our faith and devotion on the spiritual path and takes us more close to our ultimate destination. Both inner and outer bliss is achieved by it.
Contributed By: Meenakshi Ahuja
The divine presence is eternal, omnipresent and omnipotent; it’s just our lack of realization that we are not able to remember him each moment. Though we don’t adore him every moment yet we are particular about our traditional values and beliefs. The entire process of worshipping God is fixed by us in a particular manner but do we ever think rationally, why do we do perform a particular ritual?
Burning incense stick is an important part of the puja ceremony as per Hindu rituals and here we’ll highlight the cause behind this ritual.
- The incense sticks acts as an air freshener and rejuvenates the soul of the devotee, who is worshipping.
- The ambience becomes pious and tranquil due to elimination of evil or ill energies from the environment.
- The attractive fragrance of the incense stick captivates the mind and soul of the worshipper and helps them to focus on His holy presence.
- It also acts as a disinfectant to remove insects and flies away from the holy place of worship.
- It is also said that these sweet smoky fragrance transmits our messages to the Almighty.
- The incense sticks inspires us to leave behind our aspirations and surrender ourselves for the benefit of mankind, like it burns itself for us.
Thus the tradition of burning camphor or incense stick is not mandatory, yet if you do it then it’s a good practice and these reasons will make you utilise it in a better way.
Contributed By: Meenakshi Ahuja
To achieve steadiness and cleanse the mind, body and soul; we adore and praise the supreme Lord and his miraculous creation. Literally, ‘Man’ means mind and ‘Tra’ means wave or vibration, so mantra is a technical practice that enlightens the mental and physiological state. You might have heard about distinct mantra for different deity and purpose. For every puja conducted at home, the Vedic scholars chant so many mantras yet most of us are oblivious to the relevance of chanting mantras and simple recite them in our daily routine. Let’s know them and then chant.
Biological and Spiritual Significance:
- Mantra chanting balances the nervous system and normalizes the hormone production, which in turn maintains the working of the body systems.
- An upsurge in the energy level is attained, which replaces the materialistic thoughts with realization of Almighty.
- It transcends the senses of the body and we feel free from the bond of time and space, thus away from the weight of worries.
- ‘As music has charms to soothe a savage beast, so the spiritual sound of mantra soothes the restless mind’; it soothes our cellular level.
- Mantras awaken our dormant conscious and help us to connect with our spiritual identity; we begin to experience oneness among us and Him.
- It helps us to concentrate on our breathing pattern, whose regulation is a secret for stronger immunity and body balance.
- It won’t work if you don’t do it, so by constant repetition, in group or alone, it will enhance the will power and faith.
- Mantra activates the chemical signals in the body that transforms the unconscious into conscious, automatic into deliberate and mindless into heartfelt.
- Chanting mantras is a conscious method of controlling our moods, and in turn, our frequency and resultant all-around radiance.
- It enhances the concentration level and in turn the memory power enlarges.It acts as a brain stabilizer and one can experience the state of trance by recognizing our own natural state.
The pros of reciting mantras are unlimited and not just few of them mentioned above, but all of it can be experienced if you try it sincerely. No matter from which ever generation you belong, the next time you chant a mantra, do it genuinely and then feel a change within you.
Contributed By: Meenakshi Ahuja
If the foundation is strong and firm, no matter how many floors are constructed above it, the building will remain intact and strengthening. Similarly the valuable Vedas are the base of knowledge and is the mirror of all education. People might say that the generations today believe on scientific revelations and rational thoughts of school, yea we agree to it but the eternal truth remains significant forever. Our scientific and technological progress may be huge, but the bases of knowledge have been received from our holy Vedas and will act as a guiding torch for many more generations, yet to come.
Relevance of Vedas for present age:
Hoping for community welfare rather than individual gain has always been the message. If every individual holds the perspective of viewing One eternal power within every being than most of the issues will automatically be resolved. The act of Universal brotherhood is an immediate necessity for regaining the peace and humanity on this planet.
Attributes of Universe:
The name may be different but the ultimate source is One. Vedas reveal the omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent traits of the powerful energy. He is one utmost source who is formless and eternal. He was, is and will forever be. Becoming aware with this universal truth and accepting His presence each moment makes the being fearless and inculcates the deep faith on His presence.
Just like a candle brightens the entire room, similarly the enlightened soul gives direction to the mind and body. God, soul and matter-always exist; weapon cannot cut it, fire cannot burn it, water cannot spoil it, and air cannot dry it. As the soul keeps on changing the outer physical appearance, but its original traits remains constant. If each one of us comprehends this enlightening truth, then there will be no differentiation on the basis of caste, creed, colour, appearance, religion and so on.
Vedic thought holds that the best instrument of knowledge is the silent mind. As per the Vedic sciences, serene and pure mind is capable of going beyond name, form, number, time, place and person or it would just be another object or entity in the outer world. This shows that there is much above physical reality and the appropriate instrument for knowing the universal Being is not a limited instrument which looks externally, like a telescope, but the silent mind that is able to see within.
Elimination of Delusions:
Vedas has a commendable source of knowledge, which is relevant for ages. Even the earlier misconceptions about ghosts, occult powers and man worshipping every creature out of fear; the turmoil was eliminated with the rational Vedic sciences. Still the presence of evil energies is dominant over the planet but the blinds can be removed by the light of knowledge-Brahma. The presence of fake gurus may dispel us from the path of spirituality but we have to be cautious and aware.
In the Vedic sciences, human well-being is defined as the harmony of body, mind, prana and soul (Atman or Purusha). The natural healing process by recognising the underlying vital energies is the secret to well-being. Today we might have advanced in medical sciences, but the bases lies in the Vedas and holds all the thoughts behind the cosmic life force of development. Organic and natural systems of progress or healing are far better than the artificial processes.
Jyotish or Vedic astrology is aimed at helping us understand how the various matter of the Universe i.e. the lights of the stars and planets affects our own bodies and minds and the fate of our world as a whole. It comprehends the knowledge of karmic influences on us, and how the heavenly bodies have their varied effects. Few might say that astrology is illogical but still few of the actions that go beyond expressions and understanding become a part of new physics. If we recognize that the universe is pervaded by consciousness, we can recognize that light ultimately is a power of consciousness, which means that astronomy must recognize astrology.
The ultimate unity of science and spirituality through Vedas can act as a guiding torch for achieving the ultimate destination of supreme truth. By learning the secrets of Vedas, we can enhance our art of living and improve our lives as per the supreme fathers wish.
Contributed By: Meenakshi Ahuja
The varied perspectives about gemstones and their relevance are quite intricate as more than rational justification, the personal testing is considered appropriate. Highlighting the craze of gemstones we head back to the great hall in which beautiful empress Cleopatra had received the Roman Emperor Julius Caesar, which was decorated with furniture studded with rare gems and Jewels. Even in recent history, the Peacock throne of the Moghuls was studded with jewels of all kind and had attracted many invaders. So be it any era throughout the world, the magical effects of gems have been witnessed.
Being of different colours and lustre, the gemstones work on the concept of colour therapy. The seven colours of VIBGYOR along with the infrared and ultra violet invisible colours, affects the human system differently. It is important to note that the wavelength of coloured light emanating from the nine planets is believed to match those radiating from each planet’s corresponding gemstone. A particular stone absorbs all kind of solar and cosmic energy and allows only a particular type of energy to pass through it; which is then absorbed by the body. If prescribed properly, this actually helps the individual in restoring the body balance and attaining self-improvement.
Other relevance of Gemstones:
The glittering gemstones are considered the secret to happiness, fortune, health and monetary bliss in life. As the ancient Gemological texts of India explain that white light is actually composed of nine colours, symbolic of the nine planets, so the particular planets radiate their energy and influence through colours. Depending upon the position of the moon sign in a particular sign of the Zodiac at the time of birth, a particular gem is allotted. Now theses gemstones are not a sure shot success mantra, if you think, but it adds on to the continuous effort of an individual and further helps to receive positive fruits. Stones have a capacity to remove the hurdles caused by faulty positioning of planets, which may halt the success in one’s life.
Gem and planetary impact:
Ruby – Red colour energy improves courage, self-confidence, blood circulation and vitality, reduces anaemia, liver and gallbladder complaints, bowel problems and skin and heart diseases. It strengthens will and purpose as the forces guiding one’s actions.
Emerald – Green colour energy is referred to encourage swiftness and freshness, as it is a nature colour that provides happiness, peace and reduces restlessness. Beneficial for wealth and property matters; and cures insomnia and depression.
Yellow Sapphire – Yellow colour energy stands for wisdom, ambition, science, and confidence; and it attracts fame, health and success to the wearer. It raises one’s vibration to the higher side of the nature and promotes actions born from a sense of duty and humanity.
Pearl – White colour energy denotes peace, simplicity, soft nature and friendship; deepens one’s emotional feeling and emotional healing. It aids in memory enhancement, cures uterine disorders, heart trouble and eye diseases, hysteria and pleurisy etc. It also increases sexual strength, removes melancholy and increases fortune.
Blue Sapphire – Blue sapphire brings mental peace and financial rewards to the afflicted person. It is the fastest working gemstone among the 9 planetary gemstones. It fortifies one’s acceptance of responsibility and one’s sense of duty. It simplifies life and encourages thrift and the reduction of the need for personal pleasure and satisfaction.
Diamond – It is said that the one who wears a diamond has a luxurious life. Diamond is supposed to enhance the name, fame and artistic quality of the person who wears it according to old beliefs. It improves stomach disorders, migraine, and cataract and helps in Soothing effect on the eyes, ears and the nervous system. It gives vitamin K. Controls pituitary glands.
Cat’s Eye- This gemstone protects its wearer from hidden enemies, sudden dangers and diseases. It may enhance one’s psychic abilities, insights, mysticism and perception of the paranormal. It may inspire one to adopt a simpler lifestyle and gravitate more toward asceticism and austerity.
The faith on this unique art may vary but if you truly believe in it, and adopt a particular prescribed gemstone, then they surely work in your favour.
Contributed By: Meenakshi Ahuja