healthy and longer living
The act of sitting together on the ground and eating seems quite ancient for the present techno-freak generation. A classy dine on the furniture or to sit in front of the television and eat; are few of the recent techniques of eating food. With transformation in living patterns we are going away from the nature and becoming dependent upon the mechanical world i.e. going away from nature to virtual. Yet at few places the bond of togetherness and tradition of sitting together in ‘sukhasana’ to eat is maintained, which in turn is beneficial for healthy living and high thinking.
Let’s make you aware with the pros of this unique habit prevalent at Gurudwaras and temples.
- The continuous movement of the abdominal muscles of bending forward and then becoming straight while eating, facilitates the proper process of digestion.
- The ‘sukhasana’ or ‘padmasana’ posture applies pressure to the lower spine that in turn brings calmness and relaxation.
- This position activates the satiety value and we feel full soon, and it also makes us eat slower due to which overeating is prevented.
- According to leading nutritionist, Rujuta Diwekar, eating food while concentrating on every aspect of the food – its smell, taste, texture and how much you are eating is the key to losing weight.
- The sitting postures help to keep our joints supple, flexible and less prone to injuries and degenerative diseases like arthritis and osteoporosis.
- Sitting cross legged maintain the blood circulation and the blood is pumped to all the required organs for digestion, much better than the sitting on the chair.
- The act of sitting on the floor and eating calms the mind and body that further leads to warm and blissful bonding among family members.
- In the Holy Koran, it was narrated that the Prophet used to eat (sitting) on the ground. He said: “I eat as a slave eats and I sit as a slave sits.” It automatically inculcates the feeling of gratitude and keeps us grounded.
- ‘Sukhasana’ means ‘calmness of body and mind through posture’ which makes us live longer and healthier.
The favourable act is a secret to blissful life and I am sure that none of us would like to compromise with our happiness. So why not go for some cool low furniture with runners and rugs in the room and enjoy the delicious food with friends and family on the floor. Moreover those who sit on the ground are not afraid of falling from the bed!
Contributed By: Meenakshi Ahuja