Why it is not prescribed to eat sweet and go outside?
Most of us have been perturbed and irked by the sudden jostle from our parents or specifically grandparents when we go outside home after eating something sweet. This sudden irk becomes more prominent during the night time, when they will give some salt in the hands and ask the person to lick it and them go.
The Garuda Purana states about the things to which the ghostly species are attracted to. They are attracted to pleasant as well as putrid smell of any form which works as a food for them. So, whenever someone eats a sweet item of any kind, the pleasant smell of the sweet attracts these species and hence, they become prone to attack by them. The attack may be subtle or gross, depending upon the level of piety of the individual. Pious persons are safeguarded by the destiny as well as supreme lord whereas impious may have to face certain strange happenings.
Salt, on the other hand is a pure substance. In Garuda Purana, the supreme lord Sri Krishna states to Garuda, “Know that sesame seed comes from my sweat and the salt originates from my body”. Salt, being pure and stronger than all other tastes, subdues the effect of sweet and hence, stops the pleasant as well as putrid smell coming from our mouth.
The eating of sweets after brushing one’s teeth increases the chances of tooth decay. And the more time elapses after brushing one’s teeth, the more are the chances. Also, sweet items are the most nutritive in nature. Due to high content of sugar, they act as the best medium for growth of bacteria. Whenever we move out, we are in contact with billions and trillions of them. These bacterial infections can cause variety of oral as well as digestive system diseases.
Salt, being strong and piercing in nature, makes the mouth saline and stops the bacterial growth to a very high extent. It acts an oral cleanser and mouth refresher, completely eliminating the chances of any of such diseases.
The zodiacal sign of Sagittarius commences on November 21st, but for seven days, being overlapped by the cusp of the previous sign, it does not come into its full power until November 28th. From this date onwards it is in full power until December 20th, and is then for seven days losing its strength by being overlapped by Capricorn.
- This sign of Sagittarius is symbolically represented either by the figure of an archer, or by a half-horse, half-man, the man part shooting an arrow from a bow.
- The people born in this section of the year are executive, fearless and determined in all they undertake.
- They are apt to be too decisive and too outspoken in their speech, and so are often misjudged in their criticism, and make bitter enemies.
- They concentrate all their attention on whatever they are doing at the moment, and seem to see no other way but theirs until their effort is made.
- They are however, the great workers; they are never seem to tire until they drop with fatigue.
- They are generally very honourable, but chiefly when they feel others are placing implicit confidence in them. Brutally truthful, they resent deception; any unmask and attempt to deceive others even when such action is against their own interests.
- Two distinct classes exist in this period. The first one have great enterprise in business, but they feel themselves confined to any one line; because they have been successful in some one thing is no reason whatever that they must follow it through life.
- They are successful in whatever they do, and they always allow a free hand in choosing their vocation.
- The people of second class born in this period are easily recognised; first by their sharp criticism on everyone else’s efforts for good and by their petty meanness in all matters that concern money.
- People of this second class are eaten up with selfish ambition. In any country in which they force their way into government positions.
- Nearly all the classes in this sign are devoted to music. They often make brilliant musicians.
- However they make sudden decisions, or change their mind rapidly, for which they may have regrets, but are too proud to acknowledge it.
- The men of this sign always marry in impulse and regret it later. So they often pass for models of married happiness even when they are the most wretched.
- The women born in this sign are the nobler of the two, they love to make their husbands successful and sacrifice everything to that end.
- They will be more inclined to suffer from rheumatism than from any other disease, also from a delicacy of the throat and lungs, and skin troubles.
- The most suitable shades for them are violet and mauve and violet- purple.
- Their most favourable stones are amethysts and sapphires.
The customary tradition of tying a Mauli on the wrist during any religious ceremony has usually been witnessed by us. In the beginning or at the end of the ceremony, pandits tie a mauli on the right hand of males and on the left hand of females. The ceremonies are considered incomplete without the mauli and it holds various religious and scientific significances.
Relevance of the thread (Mauli):
- The auspicious blessings of Tridev- Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh and Tridevi- Lakshmi, Saraswati and Durga; are bestowed upon the devotee by tying mauli.
- Mauli acts as a protecting shield against the evil energies and worldly problems.
- To receive the grace of the Gods which are worshipped during the puja or havan.
- The thread signifies the unconditional promise of serving and surrendering ourselves in the feet of God Almighty.
- The pious thread provides the strength to fight against diseases, enemies and other dangers.
- It is believed that Lord Vishnu during his incarnation of Vamana tied a red thread on the hands of King Bali to grant him immortality.
- As per Ayurveda, our entire body is processed through veins so when we wear a mauli, it helps in creating a balanced blood circulation and proper body functioning.
- The mauli on the wrist helps in controlling the blood pressure.
- It is beneficial in controlling the Vaat (Wind), Pitt (Bile) and Cough (Phlegm) s, when they are in a disordered state.
- It also acts as a commitment of love and care, when tied by a sister on her brother’s wrist.
||Yen baddho bali raja danvedro mahabalah
Ten tvamanubadhnaami rakshe maachala maachala||
Contributed By: Meenakshi Ahuja
Many of us believe in the philosophy of quitting their favourite edible or avoiding materialistic luxuries to please the God and receiving blessings in return for fulfilment of the desired wish. This concept is prevalent during the seven or eight days of fasting of Navratras. Yet if you are not one of those who can fast, still you have to abide by the rituals of food pattern in the house.
Remember- Strict NO to Non-Vegetarian food!
All of us are aware about the prohibition of non-veg food items and even onion and garlic during Navratri festival; so let’s explore the cause behind it.
*NAVRATRI occurs during the two major changes of season i.e. fall into winters and then winters into spring. This period has the highest probability of affecting our immune system; and such changes in the nature and environment around us also brings alterations within us. Thus it is better to go for easily digestible edibles which are healthy and nourishing and also activates the positivity within you.*
Other reasons for avoiding non-veg:
- Non vegetarian food is high in Tamasic content that consumes a much longer time for digestion and creates an aura of irritation and negativity.
- The animals are slaughtered inhumanely which leads to a cover of pain and distressing energy around the meat; which keep on growing as we consume them.
- Certain issues like respiratory diseases, heart diseases, indigestion and even cancer can be caused due to excess of proteins.
- The Sattva-guna begins to decline within one, over powered by the violent and ferocious
- Lack of positivity disturbs the spiritual experience of an individual and he deviates from his motive of life.
Though all these points mentioned above will compel you to think about it at least once, but there is no law against it and it is not a sin to eat meat. Yet those of us who prefer Sattvik over Rajasic or Tamasic are able to reach the spiritual destination, much quicker and easily.
Contributed By: Meenakshi Ahuja
World is a game of timings and the man who performs his task at perfect time, wins the battle of life. Dawn breaks the darkness and chirping birds welcome the new hope of sunrise, showering brightness in our gloomy lives. Our ancestors always recommended us to wake up at ‘Brahma-muhurat’ (between 4:00 am to 6:00 am) and worship Surya devta (Sun) by offering water at sunrise. Ever wondered why are grand-parents used to offer water to Sun every morning?
Apart from the faith and traditional stories of offering water, the basic fact lies behind the mystery of science. We offer water to the Sun raising our hands directly above our head level, the thin layer of water pour down from the vessel (lotta) to the ground in front of our body. According to the principle of refraction and reflection, the sunlight gets refracted and reflected due to the thin layer of water which leads to the production of 7 forms of light that get absorbed by our body. Since our body has large surface area, the rays are absorbed through it, maximum by the chest. This is similar to the process of rainbow formation in the atmosphere.
Another fact reveals that, it is impossible to see the Sun directly from our naked eyes, so the film of water acts as a tool for the eyes and the sunlight tranquilises the soul and body.
Benefits of Sun’s energy:
- The light energy extracted in this process is an excellent medicine for various ailments. The entire body is energised and boosted up with positivity, for the entire day.
- It acts as a barrier against the evil diseases like typhoid and pneumonia. Sun rays are the natural cure for ailments of heart, eyes, leprosy and jaundice.
- Vitamin D from the Sun is a healthy source for stronger immune system and bones.
So the 7 forms of light energy are an all in one solution for various diseases of the body as well as helps in rejuvenating the mind and soul.
Mention in Holy Vedas:
Wonders of Sun God are also present in our ancient holy Vedas. Sun is considered as the significator of health, profession and father in the Vedic Astrology. So it’s not only a tradition followed by our ancestors blindly but an actual tranquiliser of or health and soul.
Contributed By: Meenakshi Ahuja