There is deep bonding between man and nature, so the presence of plants, trees and water bodies helps us to connect to the natural world. A subtle blend of design, shape, colour, appropriate plants, and water bodies can enhance the positive vibrations in and around the house for optimum health and happiness. By following few of the vastu tips in the outside environment, a cherished bliss and peace can be experienced.
- Give your garden a regular shape like square and rectangle. The soil should be compact, smooth, yellow and should have a sweet smell.
- Planting of herbs and medicinal plants like tulsi and neem, helps in adding positive vibrations to the environment.
- It is auspicious to grow an abundance of fragrant colourful flowers, herbs, evergreen plants like money plant in the north, to attract wealth and luck.
- East is associated with growth and it receives the morning rays of the sun so be sure not to grow any tall plants and trees here which block these rays.
- North-east is the ideal place for a lily pond, a small pond or a fountain. Medicinal plants and herbs such as tulsi, neem, mint, coriander and thyme would be auspicious here.
- If your garden is to the south of your house, then plant tall trees to block out the harmful rays of the midday sun.
- South-east is ideal to grow herbs, mint, fennel, basil and citrus You can also build a barbecue towards the south-east of the garden.
- West is the direction associated with Saturn, so tall trees and metal garden furniture is suitable for garden in west direction. Metal swings and rides for children can also be placed here.
- Keep the centre zone of the garden clean and clutter-free. Do not allow dead leaves, twigs or any other junk to pile up there.
- Heavy leaf bearing trees like ashoka, neem, arjun, punnage and sirisa, are best situated on south-west side as they supply pure oxygen and also provide protection from the infrared rays of the afternoon sun.
- Rock gardens, if required, can also be in the south-west region sloping down towards the north or/ and east.
- As per ancient literature of Vastu, trees like pakar, barh, udumber, and peepal are considered inauspicious in the south, west, north and east, respectively. The auspicious directions for these trees are pakar in north, peepal in the west, udumber in the south and barh in the east.
- Trees like ashoka, almond, nilgiri, coconut, neem, lemon, nagakesar, kathal, shami and arisht are recommended for planting within the house limits.
- As per Feng Shui, a clamp of bamboo signifies good health and longevity of the occupants and it is also a good addition to the garden.
- Do not keep pricky cactus plants or bonsai inside the house. Avoid pots made of synthetic material inside the house.