The day to adore the Goddess of knowledge, art and science –Goddess Saraswati is widely known as Vasant Panchami. The festival is celebrated on the 5th day or ‘Panchami’ of the bright fortnight of the lunar month of ‘Magha’, which falls during January-February. It is also referred as the ‘birthday of Goddess Saraswati’- thus auspicious for beginning any kind of good and important work on this day.
Many educational institutions also pay a tribute to Goddess Sarawati on this day by organizing special prayers and program. To express the gratitude and to seek blessings from the Goddess, children are inspired by making them aware about Her grace. Not only in educational institutions but many temples also celebrate this day with great enthusiasm. The idols of Goddess are dressed in white and special Saraswati puja is organized.
Pitr-tarpan (puja for departed soul) is performed and Brahmins are fed. Kamdeva and Vasant, known as the personification of spring, are also honoured on this day. The colour yellow is given special importance as it is considered the symbol of blossoming flowers of mustard. Therefore yellow attire is worn, yellow flowers are offered to Goddess Saraswati and even sweets and dishes are also prepared in yellow and saffron colour.
This year Vasant Panchami is on 12th February 2016. The puja muhurat is from 09:16 am to 12:35 am. Book your Saraswati puja package at: http://www.shubhpuja.com/product/saraswati-puja/
Navratras are celebrated to worship different avatars and forms of Goddess Durga. To please Goddess Durga, a 9 day fast period is observed. During Navratri puja, the Durga Sapshati puja and havan with proper procedures and rituals is conducted where each family member gives ahuti and takes blessings from Durga mata. The last 3 days of Navratre are dedicated to Goddess Saraswati (Goddess of education, art and creativity). The Saraswati puja vidhi and processes need to be properly understood and applied.
- After getting ready and cleaning the puja room, sit facing towards east direction.
- Place a white cloth one platform and place the idol of Ma Sarawsati on it. Decorate the idol with turmeric, kumkum, rice, garlands and flowers. Books and musical instruments can also be placed near the deity.
- Place a green coconut on an earthen pot with a red coloured cotton cloth. Light the diya and remember lord Ganesha first and pray for the successful completion of the puja.
- Chant the following mantra and remain in meditation for a while.
||Yaa kundendu tushaaradhawala, yaa shubhra vastravrutha
Yaa veena varadanda manditakara yaa shweta padmasanaa
Yaa brahmachyuta shankara prabhrutibhi devai sadaa vandita,
Saa maam pathu saraswati bhagavati nishshesha,jadyapaha.
Aum saraswathyae namah, dhyanartham, pushpam samarpayami||
- Then offer the prasadam that you have made on the banana or betel leaf. Keep elaichi and lavanga on it.
- Perform the arti with camphor and diya and ring the bell or conch simultaneously.
To book the Saraswati puja package or order Saraswati puja samagri, contact Shubhpuja- http://shubhpuja.com/saraswatipuja-id-344757.html