Family is an integral part of life and it’s crucial for us to maintain our relationships and fulfil the responsibility as a member of the house. Conflicts, issues, tensions, coldness, aggressive behaviour and lack of harmony and financial insecurity are few of the major issues affecting the happiness of the family; so by following few Vastu tips it can be overcome.
- Be cautious about the south-west corner of the house as most of the conflicts are traced in this area. If there is a water source or door in this zone then extra care must be taken as it must be avoided.
- A wall, pillar, pits etc. in the centre (Brahmasthan) of the house are inauspicious. Keep this area neat and tidy or hang a metal chime here.
- Have plenty of light in south and south-west area of your house.
- For health related issues, check north-east, centre and south-east zones of your house. The faults must be improvised carefully.
- An extended south-east or bedrooms in the south-east can be the cause for too much of aggression, bad temper or domestic violence.
- The head of the family should live in the south-west bedroom as it is important for maintaining authority and a balanced outlook.
- A blocked north or a toilet in the north-east causes lots of interpersonal conflicts and disturbances among family peace.
- Extensions in south-east and north-west are responsible for certain families constantly getting embroiled in litigation.
- For educations aspect, children must study in the north-east rooms facing east. They should sleep with their head towards the east.
- In case of financial issues, investigate the north-east corner and keep it clean and clutter-free. An aquarium or fountain can be placed in north of north-east of the house.
- Place your assets like jewellery, cash, bank cheque-books, property papers and other important documents in a central north room of the house with the almirahs kept in the south-west corners of the room and opening towards the north.
The jam-packed schedule of today with long working hours and competitive pressure creates stress and loss in mental peace. Lifestyle disorders like heart trouble, high blood pressure, and digestive disorders along with mental health problems like depression, nervousness, aggressive and hostile behaviour are on constant increase. Thus in this situation, it becomes really crucial for us to create a relaxed and peaceful environment at home.
Vastu can help to create amicable and stress-free homes and make you feel ‘at home’ by just following few of these vastu measures.
- Houses with main building towards the south-west of the plot, and more open spaces towards north and east, lead to stress free environment.
- Nurture the form of free circulation of fresh air at your home by sunlight, plants, fountains, waterfalls, lawns and garden.
- A toilet or a kitchen in the north-east corner contributes to building up of anxiety and stress. Overhead beams should also be avoided and never sleep under a beam.
- The contaminants like formaldehydes, organic gases emitted by air fresheners, tobacco smoke, plants, plywood and carpet binders, asbestos, electromagnetic fields and termite treatments; must be avoided.
- Avoid the build-up of electromagnetic and electrostatic fields from electrical equipment; electronic gadgets when left on while not in use.
- Prefer the renovation or paint during the summer season, and four to five hours should be left before moving in.
Learning is a life-long process and every day is a new beginning to learn something and transform our lives as a better individual. Even the vastu can help us to concentrate better and utilise our potential for education.
Here are few Vastu tips to enhance the learning power and transform the lives of your children.
- Study room should be in the west, east or north zones of a house.
- The entrance of the study should be in north or east. Windows are preferred in the east direction.
- Study table should be placed in the east or north of the room.
- Keep an idol of Goddess Saraswati, on the study table or in north-east direction of the room.
- Avoid loads in the north-east and the centre of the room. The room should be kept clean and clutter free.
- Place the beds in the south-west area of the room and avoid bunk beds.
- Including the green colour in the colour scheme of the room is effective for enhancing the learning process.
- Make sure that the door leading into the room should not face a toilet or staircase.
- You can place a crystal gem tree, quartz crystals or amethysts in the west zone.
- Children should sleep with their heads towards south or east.
Marriage being an important and crucial affair in India is a tie-up between two families and commitment of love, care and belongingness. Imagine if this commitment or relationship is affected just due to disharmony among the placement of areas in the house; many of us might disagree with it but as per Vastu, the bed and bedroom are very important areas to maintain love and harmony of a relationship.
- Ideal place for bedroom is in the south-west, south, west or between north and north-west. Never have your bedroom in south-east zone as it causes frictions and clashes in relationship.
- It is recommended to use a queen size bed, without boxes and preferably with a ‘single’ mattress. You can also get the mattress stitched to appear as one or place a foam fitted sheet to cover the whole bed.
- The area under the bed should be kept clean and dust-free to avoid negativity in the room. Avoid shoes, slippers and etc inside the bedroom, especially under the bed.
- Prefer light and soothing colours in the bedroom to bring more love and understanding in your life.
- Avoid sleeping under a beam running lengthwise, to overcome this problem hang two crossed bamboo flutes from the beam facing downwards.
- A pair of doves or swans along with happy memories pictures must be displayed in the south-west corner of the room.
- The pointed objects like nails, iron spikes or sharp-edged furniture should not be pointed towards the bed. Dustbins and brooms must be out of sight.
- An L-shaped bedroom creates a sharp corner from the intersection of the two walls pointing across the room. Make sure that the corner is not pointing to the bed as the occupants would ultimately suffer from health issues.
- Do not keep an open mandir or create temple area in the bedroom.
Home is the place where people spend their maximum time of their life; therefore our home should be the representation of our personality. The happiness and warmth of the inmates transforms the house into home yet a perfect house is also required to keep the inmates happy. So it is like a vice versa process.
For restoring balance and harmony in the home, certain rules of Vastu should be considered, which are quite helpful during the planning and designing process of the house.
- Rooms should only be square or rectangular shaped, and not irregularly shaped. Kitchen, toilets and puja room should not be next to each other.
- Kitchen should not be directly in the front of the main door.
- Study rooms, treasury rooms and living rooms should preferably be in the north side of the house.
- Bedrooms and store rooms should be in the southern part, avoid bedrooms in the central portion (brahmasthan) of the house.
- Dining room, children’s bedroom and study room in the western corner of the house is considered appropriate.
- Bathroom, study room and stores in the eastern corner of the house.
- The stairs should not be made in north-east or brahmasthan, preferred location is in west, south-west or south.
- Have lofts and attics in the south and west side of the rooms.
- Puja room should be in the north eastern corner or it can also be inside the study room or dining room in the north-east corner.
- Rainwater or drainage should have an outlet in north, east or north-east side.
- Elderly people are more comfortable in the south-west corner of the house.
- The number of doors and windows should be more on the ground floor and less on the upper floors.
- Allow plenty of natural light and fresh air within the house, as dark houses collects a lot of negativity.
- There are certain dates when neither muhuratha nor auspicious time is required, so you can begin your construction or move into your house on Akshaya Tritiya, Phulera Duj, Vijaya Dashmi and Vaisakhi.
(For further guidance of Vastu, consult shubhpuja.com)
Vastu involves an understanding of the eight directions that includes four cardinal directions and four angles or vidishas. The centre part of all these directions is called ‘brahmasthan’. Every direction is unique in its own way and there is certain speciality of each of them, so according to their significance the house should be planned and constructed.
West direction is capable of giving success, glory, fame and fortune.
North is the place of mother. By leaving open space in north, the maternal side of the family prospers.
South direction is responsible for wealth, success, happiness and peace.
North-east zone is assigned to water. Appropriate for constructing borewell or underground tank. This sector gives stability to the family.
North-west zone is assigned to air. It is good to keep finished goods in this area as they will move fast. It is responsible for relationships, friends and enemies.
South-east zone is assigned to fire. Kitchen, pantry, furnace or boiler should be placed there. Zit is responsible for good health and healthy finances of the inmates of house.
South-west zone is assigned to earth. This is the best area for master bedroom. It gives stability to the head member of the family.
These directions cannot change the destiny yet it ensures the safety measures by creating a harmonious space and strength to bear the problems in life. It is like a free will to a person, where he decides what to choose or not.
‘The truth of palmistry could rest upon the solid foundation given by the study of the thumb alone.’ This statement defines the significance of ‘thumb’ in the domain of Cheirognomy and the complete palmistry itself.
We often find cutting off the thumbs of the enemies during war, or of the prisoners for their crime. Even in the early days when prisoners were brought for justice in the court, they covered their thumb with their fingers- symbolising the giving up of his will and independence, and begging for mercy.
First or Nail Phalange: When the thumb is unequally developed, the first phalange is extremely long and the holder possesses extreme ‘will’.
Second Phalange: When the second phalange is extremely longer than the first one, the holder is logical and in spite of innovative ideas and skills, they lack the determination to carry it out.
Third Phalange: When the third phalange is long and thumb is small, the person is bent towards passionate and sensual side, as it is the boundaries of Mount Venus i.e. love.
Another noticing factor is the flexibility or stiffness of the first joint of the thumb. When supple, the first phalange is allowed to bend backwards; when on the contrary, the thumb is stiff, the first phalange cannot be bent back.
The Supple- Jointed Thumb:
This is the symbol of extravagant nature, one who is natural spenders of wealth as well as thoughts. They are quite adaptable to new people and situations and settle down easily.
The Firm-Jointed Thumb:
These people are more practical and possess a stubborn determination which makes them strong. The stick to one thing and have their own thoughts of making the best in their own home and country.
Contributed By: Meenakshi Ahuja