The element of cohesion which circulates in our body is termed as Kapha. This Kapha element is responsible for the natural cohesion and lubrication of the bodily pathways. As per the classical Ayurvedic texts such as Charak Samhita, the body is composed of three main elements or Doshas namely Vata, Pitta and Kapha which when present in their natural form, maintain the body and perform the required tasks.
But when any one of them is disturbed, there is an upheaval in the natural system and as a result, we are a victim of a particular disease. This also indicates that some of the positive planetary influences have been distorted and hence, there is a requirement of rectification.
Out of these three elements, the Kapha element makes the move by balancing the cohesion in the body.Kapha forms the major element of importance in the immune and respiratory system of human body. As per ayurvedic texts, the number of diseases due to Kapha disturbance are 10 in number since they involve malfunctioning of the respiratory aspect of the system.
The Kapha element of the body is divided into five types, each of which is located in different parts of the body. The five types of Kapha are
|S.No.||Subtypes of Kapha||Locations||Actions|
|1.||Kledaka||Upper part of stomach||Lubricates the food, helps them to mix with juices, forms a protective covering over the inner line of gastric mucosa.|
|2.||Tarpaka||Head and sinus cavities.||Keep the nose, mouth, eyes moist and well protected.|
|3.||Bodhaka||Tongue||Salivation and primary lubrication of food, Taste identification.|
|4.||Shleshmaka||Joints||Lubrication of joints|
|5.||Avlambaka||Chest, lungs and lower back.||Keeps the chest, lungs, and back very strong, facilitates strong muscles and protects the heart.|
The major place of location of Kapha element is the joints, which is indicated by the synovial fluidwhich is responsible for the greasing and lubrication of the joints.
Kapha element is responsible for functions like taste identification, sweetness, plumpness, cohesion etc. The principal action of Kapha is to regulate the cohesive activity and the soothing activities.
As per Vedic astrology, there are some planets and their associated zodiac signs which are associated with the Kapha element. The planets and the zodiac signs have earth element as their essential principle and hence, they become Kapha planets. They are as follows:
Zodiac signs: Taurus, Cancer, Pisces
Planets: Moon, Venus (primary), Jupiter (primary) Saturn (secondary),
These planets have their central element of support as earth and hence, when they become the Lagna planet or have an effect on the central houses of the Kundali chart, the influence of these planets causes disturbance or regulation of Kapha in the body of the individual. Depending upon their own positions in the Kundali, these planets have their multiple effects on the Kapha element and hence, the effect can be seen in miniscule or macroscopic form.
The Kapha element is affected by many of the processes happening inside the body, primarily digestion. When digestion is impaired, the undigested food becomes cold and increases Kapha production. Therefore, the food must be allowed to digest itself completely so as to allow complete regulation of the Kapha movement.
There are six tastes as per ayurvedic texts, viz. Sweet, Sour, Salty, Bitter, Hot and Astringent. The tastes are beneficial for Kapha balancing are bitter, astringent and hot and the rest three are helpful in Kapha aggravation. Therefore, a diet comprising of hot, bitter and astringent taste shall be helpful in the balancing of Kapha.
Properties of Kapha:
The physical characteristics of a Kapha person are:
- Frame: Large
- Weight: Heavy
- Skin: Thick, oily, cool, pale and fair.
- Hair: Thick, oily, dark or light.
- Teeth: Strong, white and well formed.
- Eyes: Big, attractive, blue, thick eyelashes.
- Forehead: Large & broad.
- Neck: Large and thick.
- Eye lashes: Large, thick, oily and firm.
- Nose: Thick, big, oily and firm.
- Voice: Pleasant, deep, good tone.
- Speech: Slow, monotonous and melodious.
- Nails: Thick, oily waxy and lustrous.
- Sweating: Slow to start but not profuse.
- Faeces: Normal.
- Urine: Moderate and clear.
- Pulse rate: Broad, slow and moves like a swan.
- Physical activity: Lethargic.
- Sleep: Heavy, prolonged and excessive.
- Thirst: Slight.
- Appetite: Slow and steady.
- Joints: Firm and large.
- Circulation: Moderate.
- Endurance: High.
- Habits/Hobbies: Water, sailing, flowers, cosmetics, business ventures, cooking.
- Tendency to contract disease (type): Retention of water, Kapha diseases.
- Tendency to spend: Spends slowly and saves money.
The mental characteristics of a Kapha person are:
- Mind: Calm, slow, receptive.
- Emotion: Greedy, attached and self content.
- Faith: Steady and loyal.
- Memory: Slow but prolonged.
- Dream Running: Watery/Ocean.
- Mental nature: Slow, definite and not talkative.
- Neurotic tendencies: Depression, unresponsiveness and sorrow.
- Temperament: Content and conservative.
- Positive emotions: Love.
- Negative emotions: Attachment.
Kapha Mental nature according to the 3 Guna’s:
- Sattvic (Pure): Calm, peaceful, content, stable, consistent, loyal, loving, compassionate, forgiving, patient, devoted, receptive, nurturing, supportive, strong faith.
- Rajasic: Controlling, attached, greedy, materialistic, sentimental, needing security, seeking comfort and luxury.
- Tamasic: Dull, gross, lethargic, apathetic, slothful, coarse, slow comprehension, insensitive and a thief.
Signs of increased Kapha in a person:
- Decreased Agni.
- Hunger goes down.
- More salivatory secretions.
- Tone of muscles will reduce.
- More sleep.
- Accumulation of fluid.
Signs of decreased Kapha in a person:
- Hollowness in organs.
- Feel palpations (Mucus around the heart).
- Weakness in joints.
The methods to balance Kapha are just opposite to the nature of Kapha. The regular use of pure unadulterated honey helps a lot in regulation of Kapha.
For more details on Gem Therapy or Puja, you can visit our website www.shubhpuja.com