Few of us burdened under the weighty words of westernization and globalization are many times compelled to follow few norms, which are against our will and acceptability. Remember those days when mom used to run behind us with a plate and trying to bluff their toddler for feeding them with their own hands. Those heavenly days were mostly cherished by every Indian kid, but here my intentions are to highlight the fact ‘Why were we fed with hands rather than classy cutlery’.
Today we have broken those natural essence and jumped on to the modern ways of society, yet for some ‘eating with hands’ is still in trend. Eating with cutlery is thought to be more modern, hygienic and convenient, however most people don’t realise that there is a rationale behind eating food with your hands.
- According to the Vedas, our hands are the representation of the five elements of nature.
Index finger: Air
Middle finger: Heaven
Ring finger: Earth
Little finger: Water
So these elements work on your food by cleansing it and preparing us to eat and digest them well.
- A certain kind of bacteria resides in our hands, mouth, throat, intestine, gut and rest of the digestive system; that saves us from the outside harmful bacteria. So the pattern of bacteria is maintained when you eat through your hands.
- In our Indian culture, it is said that “eating food with your hands feeds not only the body but also the mind and the spirit”. Even our Vedas gives utmost importance to this pattern of eating.
- The satiety value of food enlarges when one eats with hands rather than spoon or fork.
- Even while we watch television and eat, our complete senses are involved in the process of eating through hands and we engage ourselves in feeling the texture, warmness and taste of the food.
- As soon as you touch your food with your hands, the brain signals your stomach that you are about to eat. This in turn, prepares the stomach to digest the food it will receive, aiding in better digestion.
- People who eat with their hands are more conscious about hygiene than others, thus it inculcate the habit of washing hands and staying clean. It also keeps you away from certain diseases.
- Eating with hands provides you with another level of awareness and your mind, body and soul are indulged in the entire process making you feel full.
So few of these points might encourage you to get back to the original avatar and get your hands dirty, off course when it’s healthy 🙂
Contributed By: Meenakshi Ahuja