The entire universe is composed of vibrations which produce audible and inaudible sounds, which are experienced by living beings. ‘Shabda Brahmane-nishnata parambrahmadi gachhati’ means the primordial sound which is the base of our creation and source of everything. As one gets immersed in the Shabda Brahman i.e. OM, he enters in to the Parabrahman (all-pervading one-consciousness) automatically. So OM is the prime subject around which the entire creation revolves, it is the permanent truth within which everything exists.
The word OM or often spelled as ‘AUM’ is a three letter word composed of A, U and M; each letter symbolising different state of time.
- A-Waking state
- U– Dream state
- M-Deep sleep of consciousness
As we chant AUM we connect with our true self by which we ultimately connect with the Supreme power. As in the sixth verse of Bhagvad Gita, Lord Krishna says “Etad-yonini bhutani sarvanitya upadharaya. Aham krtsnasya jagatah prabhavah pralayas thata”. He says that the entire creation is born out of me and it resides in me, and dissolves back into me. Chanting the eternal mantra OM results in the production of a vibration that resemble the original vibration, produced at the time of creation. The sound AUM, when chanted, vibrates at the frequency of 432 Hz, which is the same vibrational frequency found throughout everything in nature. Relevance of this word is not only mentioned in Vedas but also in holy Bible, “In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.”
- Regular chanting of OM results in the increased efficiency of the cells of the body which can relieve us from the varied health issues.
- The mental and physical energy rejuvenates and positivity is achieved all around.
- Ultimate stress reliever that removes all our mental worries, and relax our body and mind.
- Regulates the hormonal system and improves the digestion.
- It helps in controlling the emotions and instant anger.
- As we regain our peace of mind, increased compatibility and understanding is experienced in our relationships.
Thus the power of chanting OM infuses us with energy that makes us serene and divinity is experienced. Meditating while chanting this mantra leads us to the state of knowing our true self, which explain that soul is immortal and dissolved in the eternal Universe even after the physical body dies.
Scientific method of Chanting Om to achieve results
Scientifically, the correct method to chant AUM is to pronounce A for 3 seconds, U for 5 seconds and M for 6 seconds. As one repeats the mantra for 15 to 20 times, with each passing time the state of deep relaxation will be achieved. So focus on the power of OM and release all your worries by easy meditation.
Contributed By: Meenakshi Ahuja